Ugh spring drama slump

                               Image result for the great seducer soo ji 

I noticed that it's always in the early spring that I start to feel exhaustion from drama watching. I'm not motivated and options are always less than inspiring. I am happy, however, that I've been able to finally find subs for Live! It's difficult to watch, but rewarding.
                             Image result for radio romance episode 16

Radio Romance

Done and done. I get that by the end of the last episode, Su Ho and Geu Rim were in a relationship. Geu Rim got rid of her poodle hair, thank God. Su Ho came to terms with his friend's death and stopped allowing his family pretend to be prefect when they were very much flawed. Su Ho's mother stopped being so manipulative to a certain extant. Tae Ri and her manager Oppa became engaged. And writer La and her ex seem to be getting back together. So why does it feel like nothing has happened for the last 16 episodes? It all honestly feels like just a bunch of empty pink space. And I cannot figure out why. I happy that everyone has found their happiness somehow, well except for Lee Gang as far as I'm concerned. And by the way, what a crappy love triangle. Gang confessed to Geu Rim and then gave up within the same episode, which was very much unlike his character.

                                Image result for waikiki episode 12

Waikiki

I actually really enjoyed the special episodes between 10 and 11. It was fun to see the cast reacting to their scenes and reveal behind the scenes info. The special episodes could have simply been recaps, which other shows have done. But everyone involved made something new and refreshing to watch. As for episodes 11 and 12, I'm disappointed with Yoon Ah. She doesn't owe Dong Gu anything in terms of a romantic relationship. And she also doesn't owe him an explanation of her past. She does, however, owe him some kindness. After all, he took her in when she had no where else to go and takes good care of Sol. She was so mean and condescending to him when she turned him down. I think she's starting to realize how caring he has been to her lately, though. I thought the gonggi battle hilarious, especially when Dong Gu was learning from his university sunbae. I'm happy that my two favorites, Seo Jin and Joon Ki, are finally dating. It's not really going that well, though. I think that Joon Ki will gradually see Seo Jin as a woman and not a child.

                                 Image result for ruler episode 30

Ruler

I watched episodes 29 and 30. Ok so Ga Eun wants to protect the crown prince now that she knows he didn't kill her father, which means that she is still unaffected by his actions as a person after all this time. It's just not good enough. And she ruined all of his efforts to reclaim his kingdom by putting herself in the crossfire and trusting all the wrong people. As of now, the crown prince has apparently died (and a centipede crawled over his hand in the dirt, gross), but it's obvious he didn't really die. Also, does the Pyunsoo group own all of the poppy production in the entire country? Why can't someone else make poppy pills? Not that it's a good thing for the entire royal advisory to be addicted to opium.

                           Image result for the great seducer                             

The Great Seducer

This show gives me major Gossip Girl vibes, which I don't mind at all. I ship Si Hyun with Soo Ji a whole lot more than I do him with Tae Hee, however. He may find Tae interest and cute (neither of which I agree with, btw), but he deeply loves Soo Ji, which is a whole lot more compelling. There is just so much more chemistry between Si Hyun and Soo Ji than Si Hyun and Tae Hee. And Tae Hee is an inconsistent character, which really irritates me. It may be realistic, but it doesn't make for good writing. It's just also really difficult for me to watch this supposedly budding romance and believe in the genuine attraction when Si Hyun really is not being genuine, himself. The other romances are a bit strange, haha. Se Joo seems to be developing something with the Chinese maid, which is actually a little bit cute. And now Yeon Woo had become lovestruck by a man in extensive make up. I'm interested in how that ends up haha.

                                                  Image result for live lee kwang soo kdrama poster

Live

I was hesitant to watch this because I don't typically like cop dramas, but Lee Kwang Soo changed my mind. He is the reason I started watching this. At first it was really hard for me to take his character seriously because I can never take LKS seriously. I still struggle with this because I think his character Sang Soo provides much of the humor in the primarily bleak show, as he is 80% pabo. I do think this is LKS's most serious role to date. And I'm enjoying his performance and I think the entire cast is stellar.

                                         Image result for live lee kwang soo kdrama episode 4

Thankfully, even though this is a drama about cops, it's not a crime drama. It's a human drama. There are crimes, of course, but the show isn't presented in a procedural way, which I really appreciate. It's one of those shows that doesn't present anyone as black or white and it makes you think about ethical and circumstantial dilemmas. Oh Yang Chon, for example, is a jackass of a human being, but he's a badass of a cop. His wife, Jang Mi, is cold hearted to her husband, who clearly loves her deeply, despite lacking the faculties to express it, and her children, who may be a little bit unfriendly but are just average for their age and don't really deserve her treatment. But Jang Mi is good at her job and does the right thing.

I really like how this show doesn't just focus on the rookies, but on cops in many different rankings. They show that life is hard for everyone, no matter how far you go in age and position. But it doesn't mean that you should give up on life, but rather that you should always be mindful and empathetic to other people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hwarang

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

The Sound of Your Heart