Caught Up With Ruler


Some dramas caught me by surprise this week, causing a sudden attack addiction. Some disappointed me as the week went on. And some fell through the cracks. Which dramas captured my heart this week? Let's find out.


The Best Hit

I'm starting to get really confused by the time jump. I started being confused when Hyun Jae and Young Jae were shown to have the same sheet music book, which is constantly changing for the other. Why is that possible? What are the rules here? But what really confuses me is that I always assumed Hyun Jae was assumed to disappear after he travelled to the future. But now apparently, he was actively interacting with people and being seen up to a year after he travelled. This would mean that the Hyun Jae that travelled to the future in 1993 is a different Hyun Jae that disappeared in 1994. So if he travelled in 1993, did another version of himself suddenly pop up in his place? And where did this other version of himself disappear to? Is there something I'm missing? I really hope the writers thoroughly thought this out.

Ugh my heart is totally breaking for Ji Hoon. Literally nothing is working out in this kid's life. He's literally in a love triangle with his dad, and he's losing. Plus, he's had this dream of becoming an idol for so long. He put so much time and energy into it, and now he's decided to give up and he has nothing to do. Please writers, give him a break!


Ruler, Master of the Mask

I started getting addicted to this around episode 15-16, but then I started getting bored again a few episodes later. Still, I kept watching until the end because they kept teasing us with revelations. I wanted the fake Lee Sun to reveal his face to Ga Eun so badly! And he almost did it several times, making me all the more anxious. All of the issues I took with Ruler still stand, but I think now that Ga Eun has taken an unfortunate, albeit larger role, and information is slowly being revealed, I've found a little more motivation to watch. I still don't understand why our 2 male leads are so obsessed with Ga Eun. Again, they didn't establish her character well enough in the beginning. They also didn't establish her romantic relationship with Chun Soo/Sun before their initial separation well enough in order for him to feel so strongly about her. I can understand fake Sun's love more since they grow up together and she took care of him, but his "love" is more of an obsession at this point.

I really wish Ga Eun would be more layered and not so fixated on avenging her father in every choice she makes. Chun Soo/Sun risked his life time and time again for her. But Ga Eun entered the palace with the intention to completely cut him off in trust that the queen dowager would help her in her revenge. And now that she's discovered Sun's real identity, she is so quick to threaten his life without stopping for any explanation. Clearly her love for him is not as strong as his for her as she readily threw him aside for her father's honor. I originally thought the drama revolved around Ga Eun falling for the man who killed her father after she set revenge on him. Instead it's a story about her taking revenge on the man she's already in love with. This is not the romance I signed up for.


Third Rate My Way

I'm really starting to hate Seol Hee, probably because she reminds me of myself and how I really wish I could be more commanding in certain situations. I just watched episode 6 btw. She just needs to stop perming her hair and start wearing whatever the fuck she wants. This is dramaland! You can wear whatever you want and no one would bat an eye. Our other couple is at the point of doubt and refrain, which makes me sad, but I'm sure it'll end soon. Well, I never have that much to say about this drama. It is what it is.



Bad Thief, Good Thief

The beginning of this drama was quite difficult to watch, but I'm totally addicted now. Ji Hyun Woo is  so cute in his manchild way. And I love that he has to chase after So Joo now, though he is being a little too stalkerish. Did he install a tracker on her phone? I also love that each episode, we get closer and closer to justice. Dol Mok has finally realized how manipulative Hwa Young is and I'm sad that Joon Hee hasn't yet come to this realization. I think Seohyun is believable as So Joo and gives a character a distinctness. Still I wish So Joo could be a little more subtle and a little less emotional. The actress who plays Hwa Young is a disaster and does not blend in well with the rest of the cast in the slightest.


Queen for Seven Days

My heart! I wanted Yeok to stop being a jerk and openly save Chae Kyung, but at the same time I wanted him to stay away and not fall into the trap. I'm always so conflicted but I really look forward to this show every week. He missed his chance to save her initially because the king got there first, but he was there when it really mattered. I was sad when he gave Chae Kyung's promise ring back and thought we would have to suffer through a separation again. Thankfully that won't happen for now. I do have a difficult time believing that these two will get married in the near future, though. I can't imagine any lovey dovey romantic scenes because Yeok is so hardened, I can hardly imagine him smiling sweetly and openly at Chae Kyung. So I'm interested in seeing romantic developments not just for squeeing's sake, but also because I'm intrigued in how the story will take us there.


Suspicious Partner

Oooohhhh things are heating up in here. Ji Wook and Bong Hee's relationship went from 0 to 100 real fast. Ji Chang Wook is seriously good at skinship in his dramas. I remember him being very physically clingy in Healer, as well. I'm happy we're at this part in the drama, but now that they've truly accepted each other, the drama world is trying to tear them apart in the next episode and that won't do. I don't think Bong Hee's father is actually responsible for Ji Wook's parents' death. I think the only reason he keeps seeing her father's face as a part of his memory is because the chief prosecutor ingrained her father's face in young Ji Wook's memory with her father's photo. He began to associate the face in the photo with his memories of witnessing the fire as time went on and his mind began to associate all of the memories of these events into one chunk. I really can't wait until chief prosecutor is uncovered by the public as the trash he is.

In other news, I'm glad investigator Bang is okay! I honestly wasn't sure what they would do with his character. As for Hyun Soo, will he now become the murderer with amnesia, who has yet to appear this late in the game? I don't think that should have been in the drama's blurb.



Circle

What is going on in this drama? It's not really holding my attention and isn't giving me enough motivation to watch it. After episode 6 it seems that Jung Yeon is Byul, but she had her memories erased and was told she was an 18 year old and lived onward with the false identity of a human. Perhaps that's why she's so insistent on returning the memories of Smart Earth residents. Clearly she's still the same age 20 years into the future, so she's definitely an alien. I'm still sad that Joon Hyuk is Bum Gyun and not Woo Jin 20 years later.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hwarang

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

The Sound of Your Heart