My Very Messy Drama List Part 1


So I had originally been working a Strong Woman Do Bong Soon post for over a month, but school got in the way and then I just lost the motivation entirely. Now I'm in the middle of so many dramas, it's impossible to keep track! But that is exactly my goal today.

Let's start with the only drama I finished since my last post on Hwarang, SWDBS!


Strong Woman Do Bong Soon

I was absolutely in love with this drama and devastated when it ended. Two episodes a week simply wasn't enough! I've loved Park Bo Young as an actress since Oh My Ghostess and I knew she would be great. I didn't know anything about Park Hyung Sik, though, and now he's on my watch list. He did such a phenomenal job expressing his love as Ahn Min Hyuk towards Do Bong Soon. And I truly believe this is because he really, really does have feelings for Park Bo Young in real life. And I won't let anyone convince me otherwise, even the actors, themselves. Just get married already!


I do wish less time had been spent on the thugs. At a certain point, they stopped serving a purpose in the core story. Then they introduced that bizarrely culturally appropriative monk into the story, who had absolutely no involvement with the central character, Do Bong Soon. As funny as they occasionally were, I just wanted to watch Min Hyuk and Bong Soon.

I think this was the only drama where I watched the raw episode every week before the subs came out because I was just that desperate. I've never done that before, and haven't since. This drama replaced the hole in my heart that Goblin ate and I depended on it every week.

Then there are the dramas that have finished, but I'm watching them way later or I'm still trying to catch up.

Shut Up Flower Boy Band

I have one more episode left, ONE MORE. I have no idea if I'll ever get around to watching it. I started watching this drama when there wasn't really anything interesting to watch and this one is on a lot of people's favorite lists, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Honestly, I'm disappointed more than anything.

The bromance is supposed to be the highlight, but I find it lacking. I want to know why they're so loyal to each other. I want to know their backstories and how they became a band in the first place. I just don't care as much I know I should and that's because the context simply isn't strong enough. And the romance is not enjoyable to watch, either. So really, there is little motivating me to finish this. I think maybe if I had watched it when it was airing, I would have liked it a lot more. Back in 2012, I was just beginning my drama journey. I was watching the classics, such as Boys Before Flowers and Coffee Prince, as well as high school dramas, such as Dream High. I probably would have loved SUFBB at the time, but my tastes have changed and I'm no longer interested.


Pasta

This was another drama that I started picking up because there wasn't much else to watch at the time. Gong Hyo Jin is one of my favorite actresses and Pasta is the only drama of her's that I haven't seen yet. I'm only a couple of episodes in, but I'm definitely having trouble with the aged quality. The cinematography, the hair, the clothes, and the acting all feel out of date and it's difficult for me to watch. Plus, the male lead played by Lee Sun Kyun is blatantly misogynistic and it's impossible for me to like him. I know he'll go through character development later on, but it's so hard for me to root for the main couple when I take issue with the male lead. Once again, I probably would have liked this a lot more when I had started watching dramas.


The Liar and His Lover

I have one more episode left with this one, as well. And with the explosion of dramas this late spring, I have little hope for finishing this. It has drifted onto the back burner of back burners. Sadly, I was never that interested in this drama to begin with. There is little gravitational pull for me. I think the OST is great. Some of the actors aren't bad. I think I'm just completely indifferent to the story.  And I have a massive issue with the the leads' romantic relationship.

With Goblin, Ji Eun Tak was at least a high school senior, on the cusp of becoming a legal adult. Yoon So Rim is only 18 for the duration of the drama, which is like being a 16 year old in the US. Kang Han Gyul is a full fledged adult, making their relationship completely inappropriate. Furthermore, Han Gyul held celebrity status and was idolized by So Rim by the time they were in a reciprocal romantic relationship, giving him exploitative power. So no, not okay with any of it, which is probably why I have a such a hard time getting into this drama. Furthermore, I like Lee Hyun Woo as an actor, but it feels like he continuously takes on roles beneath him, and this one was no exception. I'm hoping he finds a better project next time.


My Secret Romance

Just the most rom- comiest rom-com ever, nothing Earth shattering. I think this ended last week? I have 2 more episodes left and I have every intention of watching them... at some point. Unfortunately, I heard the ending is a disappointment. But honestly, I don't understand how anyone's expectations for this show could be high enough to bring disappointment. This was easily the lowest quality drama I've watched in a long time. The style reminds me a lot of Something About 1%, especially with the illustrations at the beginning of each episode.

The actress that plays Lee Yoo Mi is perhaps one of the worst I've watched and the character is terrible, too. Sung Hoon carries the show on his back and it would be complete garbage without him. I just can't understand why Cha Jin Wook likes Yoo Mi so much. Her character is just so dull, it makes me cringe. I'm sad that Yoo Mi's little brother isn't actually their child because that would have been really cute. Anyways, though I don't completely understand their romance, it's still super cute, so I look forward to finishing this soon.

Chicago Typewriter

Easily the most compelling of the bunch on this list. I just recently watched episode 13, so I'm not that far behind! I was intrigued by Yoo Ah In, but none of his projects interested me, except for Chicago Typewriter. I think this drama is a great vehicle for both him and Go Kyung Pyo. Speaking of Go Kyung Pyo, I absolutely love his role as Yoo Jin Oh, the ghost. He's so adorable and sweet and his interactions with Han Se Joo are pure gold.

These great actors and characters are backed up with a fantastic story to boot. The story of the 3 friends in 1930s Kyungsung makes my heart ache. They have to threaten each other and their lives are traumatic memories for their future lives. I carry the most sorrow for Yoo Jin Oh who couldn't be transferred on to a new happy life of freedom like his friends, and was trapped with his incomplete memories for 80 years. I wish that we had been able to learn more about their story earlier on, as there is still so much to be clarified and I'm nearing the end. Even though I only have 3 episodes left, it feels like I should be somewhere in the middle of this drama.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hwarang

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

The Sound of Your Heart