Queens and Thieves


I went into the Adirondacks for a few days without much internet access. Then I traveled back home on a bus for most of the day so I haven't had as much time to watch dramas this week, but I still caught an episode or 2 from most of my ongoing shows.


Ruler, Master of the Mask

I just finished episode 14 (yes still very behind) and I find Pyunsoo group problematic as the center of the story. It's just kind of ridiculous and wholly unbelievable. This group is obviously fictional  and never occurred in history. So to make this fictional dark shadow eating away at Joseon almost turns the setting into some kind of dystopian sageuk. And alternate history as a genre is not new, but it has to be done well to work and it's just not working for Ruler. Another thing that seems blatantly out of place? The LEOPARD PRINT. Please no more. I am happy, however, that it was clarified that Lee Sun/Chun Soo is pushing Ga Eun away in order to make her life easier. Annoying as this noble idiocy is, at least it's logical. Ga Eun's life is not easier, however, so I'm hoping this part of the story ends soon.


The Best Hit

I knew that Hyun Jae is Ji Hoon's dad! Well I supposed the writers wanted me to know, so I'm not that impressive. Now that Ji Hoon has seen Hyun Jae in action with his mall performance, I figure it's only a matter of time before he starts asking for those training seshes! I'm also really happy that it was Ji Hoon that kissed Woo Seung's forehead. I was hoping it would be him. I think Woo Seung and Hyun Jae are supposed to end up together, but Ji Hoon is just so cute and he deserves a win! Of course, now it seems MJ has been thrown into the triangle, making it a square. But now that I think about it, the intense girl from Star Punch entertainment seems to be growing affection for Ji Hoon. And technically Hyun Jae has a romantic connection with Bo Hee. And Gwang Jae still harbors feelings for Bo Hee. So it seems this is one complicated romance haha.


Queen for Seven Days

I never thought a sageuk could become a crack drama for me, but here it is. What a roller coaster of emotions this week was! Chae Kyung is so ridiculous, I get second hand embarrassment from watching her. But I think it's necessary for her to be so persistent because otherwise, she would never get anywhere with Yeok. Speaking of which, is he pushing her away because of all the misunderstandings with the king or because he's trying to protect her somehow? It seems the thought of seeing and meeting her again played such a massive role in his ability to survive and his desire to return, but now he's refusing to see her. That interchanging scene between Yeok's past self learning how to walk again and his present self having a panic attack was so powerfully done. Really, bravo to everyone involved in creating that scene. I'm nervous about the next episode because of the previews, but at the same time I have so much anticipation. Can next Wednesday come any sooner??


Third Rate My Way

Ae Ra seemed to be creeped out by Moo Bin, who constantly showed up and refused to leave first. But now she's trying to impress him with Seol Hee's hair flip? Not really sure about that, but I understand there needs to be a catalyst to bring out the jealousy in Dong Man. I think it's already there. Speaking of Seol Hee's hair, I absolutely hate it when a "frumpy'' character is automatically given curly, frizzy hair. First of all, I'm thinking less than 5% of Koreans are born with naturally curly hair, so it's not like she was simply too lazy to style it. Secondly, as someone with naturally curly hair, it pisses me off that "ugly" characters are always given curly hair. It needs to stop.


Good Thief, Bad Thief

YESSSSSSSS finally some justice!!!!!! I wasn't expecting anything good to happen for quite sometime, though we're still at the beginning so I suppose I shouldn't be relaxed quite yet. On the other hand, So Joo has been left with nothing. Dol Mok broke her heart and now her father is dead!? Plus, the one friend she thought she could depend on, Hwa Young, grew up to be as greedy and self centered as the rest of her crappy family. I don't understand where her jealousy comes from. She's a good student, with wealthy caring parents, and has adoring boys following her everywhere. So what if So Joo has some popularity at school? She only had her father left, who she could never spend time with, has no money, and is frequently abused by the older people in her life. I'm hoping So Joo can become a successful adult, depending on no one who would abuse her.


Suspicious Partner

I can't believe I almost forgot about this one! I was actually pretty disappointed by this week's episodes. Precious time was wasted on noble idiocy. I thought that Bong Hee already told Ji Wook that she was beginning  to have suspicions about Hyun Soo and that he confirmed his suspicions. So now that she's confirmed for herself that Hyun Soo is the killer, why is she suddenly feeling guilty and keeping secrets? She pushed away Ji Wook and caused him further pain that he doesn't deserve. But I'm glad we got over that very obnoxious and unnecessary speed bump and can move on to new relationship cuteness. There hasn't been nearly enough of it! We should be seeing more picnics and holding hands during a night walk along the Han river. Also, bring back chief Bang!!! I should just write the rest of this drama myself.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hwarang

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

The Sound of Your Heart