My Verrrry Messy Drama List Part 2


Every week a new drama that peaks my interest begins and I'm trying reeeeaaallly hard to not let any fall through the cracks, but there are only so many hours in the day and only so many days in the week. Here are the dramas I'm sincerely trying to keep up with.


Circle

I just finished episode 4 and I'm confused. I really thought Kim Joon Hyuk is Kim Woo Jin 20 years in the future. They're both the main characters so it would make sense. But I did have suspicions about this set up very early on because their personalities don't match up. I just assumed this was due to an inconsistency in acting, or directing, or writing, or just to make it less obvious for the audience. However, I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, Joon Hyuk is, in fact, Woo Jin and there's a misunderstanding. Because remember how he's watching his twin's memories, not his own. So how would he know how his past self feels about events, he would only know about Bum Gyun's emotions and intentions. Or I could be completely wrong.


Suspicious Partner

I have absolutely no trouble keeping up to date with this one. In fact, I will push aside everything else and watch this as soon as subs are released. After episodes 17-18 I feel like my heart will explode very soon. Ji Chang Wook is one fine specimen and I don't know how the hell Nam Ji Hyun manages to look directly into his eyes without collapsing. We're now entering one of my favorite parts of every drama. No Ji Wook has accepted his feelings for Eun Bong Hee and will be showering her with heart fluttering affection until she accepts him. This is the good stuff!

Then we have our villain Jung Hyun Soo who really breaks my heart. He just seemed so sincere during his trial and he has such a sweet face. Furthermore Bong Hee trusted him until now and his innocence means a lot to her. So I'm just really sad that he ended up being evil because I wanted to believe him. I wanted him to be innocent.


Good Thief, Bad Thief

Are weekend dramas always this frustrating!? This is just a little too makjang for me at the moment. I only started watching this because I've loved Ji Hyun Woo since Queen In Hyun's man, but I never got the chance to watch his last drama, Wanted. Plus crime thrillers aren't really my thing. The child actors were great and I'm happy we've been able to get to the adult actors relatively quickly. That reminds me, Ji Hyun Woo has absolutely no business playing a high school student. Can we please skip to the present now?

There's just so much injustice in this drama. Like absolutely everyone except for the main characters is pure evil. I know that injustice is a central theme of this, I just have a really hard time watching Dol Mok and his father getting screwed over day after day. The worst part is that this is 50 episodes long so I really just want to see Ji Hyun Woo kicking some ass, but it might be another 30 episodes before that begins to happen. It will be a miracle if I finish this.


Queen for Seven Days

I'm totally loving this and really wasn't expecting to. I'm not a frequent sageuk watcher, but this one is hitting all the right notes. It's such a pleasant surprise. I really like how the story began at its end because this is an interpretation of real historical figures and we know how their story ends. What may be a little less clear are the details along the way that led to such a tragic fate. This also gave us a glimpse of the lead actors since we won't see them for a few episodes. I really don't mind watching the children's story though. I think their pastel palette and light concerns juxtapose interestingly with King Yeonsan's deeply pigmented palette and his very serious paranoia. I'm really interested in the transition into the story's present and can't wait for Yeon Woo Jin!


The Best Hit

The show is so ridiculous it makes my head spin. I think the casting for all the main characters is perfectly on point. We have Yoon Shi Yoon who was born to play the vain, self- centered 90s idol Yoo Hyun Jae. And then there's Kim Min Jae, who I haven't seen much of, but he does well as sweet laid-back Lee Ji Hoon. I've never seen Lee Se Young act before, but it seems like she's fitting in with the rest of the cast nicely.

 Gags, jokes, and parodies are jam packed into episode and there's a rare moment of rest. It's the kind of over the top Korean humor that I've grown to love. I was really annoyed at the accidental kiss trope at first, but by the third time it happened in one episode, it figured it must be a parody and I could only shake my head in comical defeat. I can't wait for the plot to follow through and I'm sure there are lots of laughs ahead. I have this crazy theory that Ji Hoon is actually Hyun Jae's son since we know Hyun Jae had something going on with Bo Hee in the 90s. Also, Ji Hoon is having trouble expressing himself as an idol and Hyun Jae was very popular in his time so wouldn't it be great if they had some bromantic (possible father/son) training sessions together!?


Third Rate My Way

Aww this show is cute. It nicely balances out some of the more emotional dramas I'm currently watching. I'm actually more interested in the second couple (Seol Hee and Joo Man) that the lead couple. They're freaking adorable and perfect for each other. As for the Ae Ra/ Dong Man couple, they already want to spend every minute of the day together so it's only a matter of time.


Ruler, Master of the Mask

Sadly this is turning out to be quite a disappointment for me. Suspicious Partner and Ruler, Master of the Mask began on the same day and I thought the producers of Suspicious Partner were crazy for trying to compete with Ruler. But I await every week for precious episodes of Suspicious Partner and I'm only up to episode 12 of Ruler. I was so excited to see Kim So Hyun and Yoo Seung Ho and leads, but the only lead I see is Yoo Seung Ho. Kim So Hyun's role is not nearly large enough for a main lead. Furthermore, they didn't build up the initial romance well and they didn't establish Han Ga Eun's backstory well, either. It really feels like the writers wasted the potential of what they were given. Sadly, I think this drama was completely pre-produced, so the writers can't change what they've already planned. But alas, I can't say goodbye to Yoo Seung Ho's charming face.

Did I miss anything? I hope not since I've already added 7 dramas to this list. And that doesn't include all the dramas I referenced in the previous post. Here's hoping I make it out alive.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hwarang

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

The Sound of Your Heart